Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What do I want to be 20 years from now?


What do I want to be 20 years from now? "Alive and kicking", I thought to myself. But seriously, I was asked to imagine (as opposed to think or reason) how my day would look like 20 years from now? As if these questions were not stunning enough. “What is the purpose of my life”? Gee, I was stumped. I was stumped because it did not roll readily off the top of my head. I had to think. You would think that there would be a mission statement and a vision that could readily be shared with anyone who cared, much like the vision statement that organizations have.

One could argue why we need to have a purpose. Perhaps no purpose is better than the "purpose" many scheming "mamiyars" that we see in Tamil TV serials are driven by. And they are just the beginning, believe me. I could cite many more, but then I'd have to be very cautious as to be politically correct. Besides, we didn't really choose to be born. So, perhaps our parents had a purpose in mind?! Maybe. I have never asked. I don't know if that is to protect their feelings or mine!

After some deliberation, I drafted my vision statement. The purpose of my life is to make everyone (well, maybe not everyone because we have wizened up and now know that to be impossible, but a majority) around me happy. It is also to live a harmonious and peaceful life and to be in close contact with friends, family and the community at large and to be there for them and to support them in the times of their need. That sounds fully loaded, I know, and virtually impossible. Just to remind you, the vision statement is in draft stage and I am going to take this whole year to just refine and fine tune it, so I can have educated responses for those who may revisit the topic with me in 2012 or I can use it to shape my life! It sounds like a long time, but pales in comparison to the number of my adult years without such a stated vision.

I’d like to rise early and go out for a walk, come home for a cup of coffee and breakfast, prepare for the day ahead. Assuming I am doing things right and contingent on what I am doing 10 years from now, I hope to be just doing things that please my senses and/or give back to the community. After a day of accomplishments (or perseverance:-(), I’d like to have a calm evening, with music, light food, books and some dancing with Jay before I retire.

Perhaps, there is a different way of thinking about this. Who are my idols? Who do I admire? Who do I want to be like? Several characters come to my mind that include people I come in contact with everyday to people I have only met a couple of times in my life. Either way they have left a lasting impression on me influencing who I want to be or what I want to do when I am older, in addition to sitting on a rocking chair in my porch(of my future home in Switzerland?)

I want to be an interesting person with many life experiences that I can share. I want to be a regular and "moving it" on the dance floor like my 60-something acquaintances do. I want to have friends like the Golden Girls. I want to be flexible (yes, physically as well!) and adaptable. I want to be like my parents who don't wait till someone solicits help, but just jump in to take charge. I want to retain my sense of humor, perspective and most of all my sanity.

Perhaps it was just a whimsical question from my interviewer back in December in anticipation of the New Year, but it sure got my attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment